Surviving the "smug marrieds"

Today I had an experience that I thought only happened on tv shows or in bad rom-coms. Ok, it wasn't too too bad, but it was still annoying.

So I'm at a barbecue at a friend of a friend's house. The majority of the people there were married and/or had kids, but I was holding my own and manning my cooler of jello shots. No big deal. Then a new person arrives, a dude, and the hostess of the party was immediately all like, "Hey, by the way, he's single. And a dentist! Eh?" ::raised eyebrows in that wink-wink-nudge-nudge kinda way::

sigh.

But I'm not going to be openly bitchy to the guy...we make small talk or whatever. He's not my type. Granted I don't really have a "type" anymore, but if I did, I would really have been all that interested. Dude leaves the party an hour or two later to do some things and says he'll be back. Hostess later remarks, "Yeah, come to think of it, he's got a lot of baggage. He's got kids and a baby mama living in Nebraska."

What. The. Actual. Fuck?

At some other point, another guy arrives, and the hostess asks him if he's still single (he's not). And I tell her that it's cool, I'm fine, I'm not really dating at the moment (which is a lot easier than telling people you don't date at all anymore), and she's all like, "He's a firefighter...a New York firefighter."

And then I realized, "Holy shit. This is really happening. I have been pegged as the 'sad' single girl who married/attached people feel they have to fix up with someone. Holy fucking shit, I've just become the black Bridget Jones of the party."

Except that Bridget Jones was obsessed with her weight and being perfect enough to capture someone's attention, while I just wanted to hang out and have a few drinks and wait to play Cards Against Humanity after the horde of children left.

This whole little episode leaves me asking this question: why are people so obsessed with other people being single?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cyber-death

Doing better today.